ABC audited Print and Digital Edition circulation figures published today for the year to December 2012 show:
Print Digital Combined
Classic Rock 56,714 2,608 59,322
Metal Hammer 30,029 1,246 31,275
As one of the world’s most respected and recognisable metal brands, Metal Hammer has seen growing international brand reach. The 36 date, Metal Hammer Trespass Tour of America last summer, headlined by Five Finger Death Punch, sold in excess of 280,000 tickets. The brand also exclusively produced the internationally distributed Metallica So What! 30th Anniversary magazine. Online, Metal Hammer continues its phenomenal social media performance, with an online audience reach growing 40% year-on-year to almost 1.1 million* per month.
Classic Rock continues to drive innovation in the Music sector. ‘Classic Rock Presents…’, the umbrella title for brand extensions, produces regular frequency editions of both ‘AOR’ and ‘The Blues’ as well as one-off specials such as ‘Electronic’ and ‘The Cure And The Alternative 80’s’. Online reach has grown 37% year-on-year to over a one million* per month.
Prog, leading a resurgence of interest in the genre, became a stand-alone brand in 2012. It also launched the highly successful Prog Awards at Kew Gardens, which was met with phenomenal support from the artists and the media.
Future has also pioneered a sequence of Fanpacks – deluxe exclusive editions of new and classic albums from iconic artists including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush and Rick Wakeman. The Fanpacks include the full studio album plus additional bonus tracks and exclusive magazines – the ultimate sleevenotes – and sell for a premium price on the UK newsstand.
In 2012, six Fanpacks were released selling almost 100,000 copies combined. Two new Fanpacks are already confirmed for release in coming weeks featuring guitar legend Jimi Hendrix and metal band HIM.
Future’s Rock events – including Classic Rock Roll Of Honour, Metal Hammer Golden Gods and Prog Awards – also continue to thrive.
Scott Rowley, Editor-In-Chief of Classic Rock, Metal Hammer and Prog says: “The way people – especially music fans – consume media has changed and we’ve evolved too, with greater online and digital presence and innovative narrow-but-deep print products to satisfy the most hardcore fans. We’re not done yet, either.”
* Brand reach measured by ABC + unique users + paid digital copies + social media + newsletters + free container apps + YouTube. Contains duplicates.
For more information please contact Ben Pester, Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0207 042 4035 and 07737 138 384
About Future plc:
- Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR).
- We have operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events.
- We hold market-leading positions in Technology, Entertainment, Music, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors.
- Future sells more than 24 million magazines every year, that’s 45 magazines sold every minute. Our most well-known brands include T3, Total Film, Classic Rock and Official Xbox Magazine.
- We attract more than 50 million monthly global unique users to our websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com.
- We deliver over 100 digital editions, selling over two million products in the last 12 months through Apple’s Newsstand for iPad.
- Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, making us the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content.
- Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.