A responsible approach to the environment is essential to ensure the future sustainability of our business.
Our Head of Production and Procurement plays an active role on the PPA (Professional Publishers’ Association) Environment Committee.
- Sourcing paper: Paper is the largest raw material we use as a Group. We work hard to make sure that whatever we consume, we do in a way that is ethically responsible and environmentally sustainable. In 2011, 100% of our paper across the Group was sourced from either recycled fibre or sustainable forests where at least one tree is planted for every tree felled. Future UK holds the FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) Chain of Custody certification. This recognises Future’s commitment to sourcing paper supplies from sustainable forests. In 2011, 75% of the paper we used in the UK was FSC certified. We actively encourage our suppliers to work towards FSC certification or one of the other internationally recognised and independently audited certification schemes for environmental care in forest management and conservation.
- Recycling and waste: The Group is economically strongly incentivised to minimise unsold magazines and we employ sophisticated techniques to help achieve this. In the UK more than 90% of Future’s unsold magazines are recycled. We also support the PPA’s initiative encouraging readers to recycle their magazines after use and we incorporate the WRAP recycle logo in all our magazines. We comply with our obligations under the Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations. The disposal of waste materials is also included in our print supplier audit.
- Plastic packaging: We have phased out plastic packaging of discs. In 2011, 70% of our retail bagging and all of our UK subscription bagging used oxi-biodegradable plastic film.
- Go Green: Future runs an internal initiative aimed at improving awareness of recycling and energy saving in its UK offices. Driven by Future employees, the campaign encourages employees to use less and recycle more by providing information and recycling facilities. Every year, Go Green runs a Go Green Week to raise awareness of these initiatives and has a year-round campaign on the Company’s intranet site. In the UK all of our office copier paper is FSC certified.
- Supplier audits: We undertake environmental and ethical audits on our main suppliers. We also consider environmental aspects such as the processing and disposal of effluents, emissions and waste materials.