Future plc Launches Responsibility Strategy
Future plc (LSE: FUTR; “Future” or “the Group”), the global platform for specialist media, is pleased to announce the launch of its responsibility strategy, ‘Our Future, Our Responsibility’, outlining the Group’s ESG ambitions to help build a more sustainable future for its communities and planet.
Zillah Byng-Thorne, CEO of Future, said: “Being a responsible business is at the heart of everything we do. ‘Our Future, Our Responsibility’ reflects our commitment to drive further change within our own company and through the content we produce.
“We want to build on the work we have already been doing, increasing the representation of diversity through our content and amongst our colleagues, as well as providing opportunities for careers in media for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
“It is paramount that we focus our efforts on what is important to us at Future and where we can make a unique difference, building on what we do already, with clear ambition to do more. Our portfolio of brands gives us the platform and opportunity to set the agenda, inspire people, and to encourage positive change for a more sustainable environment through trusted information and advice.”
The strategy is centred around four pillars, set out below, where Future has the greatest opportunity to use its scale and reach to make a positive change.
FUTURE DIFFERENTIATORS – A unique opportunity to make a difference:
Expanding horizons – Connecting people with their passions and lifelong learning
We have an opportunity to take positive action to fuel passions and provide compelling learning opportunities for our audiences.
- Connecting our audiences’ passions to social and environmental content, inspiring them to effect positive change and facilitate lifelong learning for all
- Diversifying our output across our brands to widen learning opportunities for our audiences
Shaping the future – Leading conversations on the future of the internet and publishing
As a leading digital publisher, we have a responsibility to create a safe internet. Future has an audience reach of over 400 million, and with this comes a responsibility to adopt a leadership position in championing a safer internet and embedding it in our day-to-day business.
- Taking an active role in the ‘Future of the internet’ debate
- Creating an editorial steering group embedding and advocating responsible content, further strengthening the responsible content framework for our brands
- Annual stakeholder survey to determine ethics committee themes
FUTURE FOUNDATION – The things we do which we believe are critical to all businesses who operate responsibly:
The culture behind the company – Great content emerges from a great culture
We are a people business first and foremost. We believe in nurturing a smart, diverse and inclusive culture which brings people together from all backgrounds and lets them shine.
- Strengthening our diversity of talent and opening up career opportunities to be more socially mobile and supporting those from disadvantaged backgrounds, building on the work we already do with Dreamworks in the US and Media Trust and A New Direction in the UK
- Setting Equality, Diversity & Inclusion objectives to be published in our diversity policy
- Investing further in the ‘Future Foundation’, providing mentoring, coaching and internships to disadvantaged young people, inspiring them to pursue a career in media
Taking responsibility – Going further to deliver a sustainable, transparent and well governed business
We are committed to behaving ethically, making a positive impact and inspiring change — playing our part in building a sustainable future for our planet and our communities.
- Targeting net zero GHG emissions from Scope 1 and 2 by 2026 and conducting a Scope 3 footprint in 2022
- Setting a plastic free policy and targets to measure emissions from our digital value chain
- A new Responsibility Board Committee created in 2021, to ensure board level oversight of the responsibility strategy
Further detail on each of these pillars can be found at https://www.futureplc.com/responsibility and in the Annual Report which will be published on 14th December 2021.